Join CDM Smith’s Transportation team where our sights are set on improving people and goods movement for the long haul. Our technical teams are versed in various design disciplines, including roads, bridges and structures, traffic engineering, intelligent transportation systems, public transit, and more. As a member of this team, you will contribute to CDM Smith’s success by;
- Policy Development and Analysis: Lead the development, review, and revision of transportation policies to align with the Illinois Tollway’s strategic goals and objectives. Analyze existing transportation policies to identify areas of improvement for the Tollway. Ensure transportation policies align with sustainability and equity/inclusion goals, such as minimizing the environmental impacts of the Tollway’s existing and future infrastructure and improving access to the region’s diverse communities.
- Strategic Planning: Support the development and implementation of a strategic transportation planning framework that integrates policy, infrastructure, and community needs. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of transportation plans and policies to achieve the Tollway’s goals. Understand the legislative and regulatory context of transportation, land use, environment, and community development at the local, regional, state, and federal levels. Identify and pursue grant opportunities to help Tollway and partner agencies achieve strategic goals.
- Industry Benchmarking: Conduct research on best practices in transportation policy to inform the Illinois Tollway’s approach. Benchmark the Illinois Tollway’s policies against leading transportation agencies, particularly U.S. toll agencies, to identify areas of improvement. Analyze national and international tolling trends, including all-electronic tolling, invoicing, congestion pricing, and violations enforcement.
- Technical Analysis: Perform traffic and revenue studies for planned and existing facilities by applying socioeconomic and travel demand analysis, conducting surveys, and other methods. Technical studies are executed at different levels of detail ranging from sketch to investment grade levels. Duties are anticipated to include overall task management and QA/QC procedures.
- Education and Outreach: Develop and support educational campaigns to inform the public about new transportation policies and initiatives. Interact with client and other transportation and local public agencies in northern Illinois. Coordinate with subconsultants to collect data and provide input at critical stages of technical studies.
Amount of Travel Required
Skills and Abilities
Superior task management skills and team-minded interpersonal skills are desired. The position will act as a mentor for junior staff by providing thorough editing of draft documents, QA/QC of deliverables, and background on the planning context in which the Tollway operates.
Prior experience with tolling policy is desired. However, a candidate with a strong understating of regional transportation planning in Northern Illinois will be given equal consideration.
Background Check and Drug Testing Information
Consumer Report, Investigative Consumer Report and Drug Testing Information
Visa Sponsorship Available