Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $700 million annually in funds to meet the mission and financial needs of our organization to respond to the complex crises. The Major Gifts unit is responsible for managing relationships with over 2,500 individuals giving over $25,000 in a 24-month period. The team raised almost $130M in 2021.
Under the direction of the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Major Gifts Officer identifies, develops, manages, and grows strategic relationships with existing major donors and prospects in the west coast territory. This region includes Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Alaska, and Hawaii. This includes stewardship and solicitation plans for a portfolio of around 120 individuals giving between $50,000 – $300,000 a year with the goal of securing funding for MSF-USA. The role requires close coordination with various MSF personnel to develop proposals around priority MSF activities and initiatives in line with the donors’ preferences.
In consultation with the Director of Major Gifts, the role plays a leading part in the creation, oversight, and execution of the overall strategy for major donors at MSF USA and is responsible for ensuring it is implemented in their assigned territory.
Additionally, the Senior Major Gifts Officer directly supervises the regional Major Gifts Officer, who manages a portfolio of around 150 donors giving between $12,500 to $50,000 a year and collaborates with support staff on the team to ensure effective administration management.
Strategizes with the Director of Major Gifts in leading the creation and implementation of stewardship, cultivation, and prospecting strategies to implement best-in-class donor experience in line with team’s objectives.
Responsible for executing stewardship and cultivation strategies in their territory to drive donor acquisition, retention, reinstatement, upgrades to increase the number of donors giving six figures.
Create and implement personalized cultivation and solicitation plans for approximately 120 major donors giving $50,000+ per calendar year to grow their giving utilizing effective and appropriate stewardship techniques.
In collaboration with the prospect research team, develop and manage a pipeline of major donor prospects within MSF’s file and the broader community.
Drives and implements moves management for their own portfolio, documenting all contacts and next steps in CRM. Build appropriate strategies and create the tools needed to initiate and cultivate these relationships, including crafting opportunities for restricted, multi-year, and planned giving.
Manage the Major Gifts Officer in their territory, supporting their professional development, stewardship and cultivation activities to drive revenue in this geography from donors giving $12,500 – $49,999 over a calendar year.
Collaborate cross-departmentally with the research and analytics, mid-level, and planned giving teams to effectively handle pipeline and moves management processes.
Maintain in-depth knowledge of MSF’s programmatic and financial activities and priorities, and international news to relay accurate and appropriate information to donors in line with their needs.
Determine annual projections and regular reforecasting of major donors in their portfolio.
Conducts routine data entry, review, analysis to ensure donor information in the CRM is current and accurate. Responsible for maintaining the privacy of donors’ personal and financial data.
Review grant agreements, negotiate terms to meet MSF requirements.
Leverage relationships to garner introductions to prospects or other philanthropic influencers.
Work with other departments including Program, Communications, Finance, and the operational centers and missions, when appropriate, to obtain materials and information needed for the accurate communication of information to donors.
Works closely with senior staff to develop appropriate content for major donor meetings and events.
Stay abreast of industry best-practices and support innovations in the major gifts strategy.
Contribute to annual major gifts strategic planning process.
Under the direction of the Director of Major Gifts, manage assigned projects in line with the strategic plan to fulfill major gifts objectives and revenue targets.
- Minimum seven years of development experience, preferably in the areas of Major Gifts or high-value partnerships.
- Minimum three years of experience of portfolio management with high-value donors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and representation skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and ability to represent MSF with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Facility with spreadsheets, budgets and forecasting.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex and sensitive material, and to present appropriate, well-informed messages to donors.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Digitally-literate, including fundraising CRM systems such as Salesforce NPSP. Comfortable learning new software applications.
- Awareness of key methodologies, approaches, and market trends in the industry.
- Enthusiastic “all hands-on deck” style team player; able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
- Responsible, proactive, driven, and able to work independently.
- Commitment to the principles of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Knowledge and interest in international affairs and humanitarian issues. Familiarity with and commitment to the work of Doctors Without Borders
- Ability to travel to meet donors.
- Driver’s license.
- Experience working in North American philanthropic environment.
- French or Spanish skills a plus.
- 1:1 coaching by industry-leading consulting firm (counts towards CFRE accreditation)
- Two in-office days
- Health, Dental, and Vison Insurance
- 20 vacation days and 10 paid holidays
- Training & Development Stipend
- Flexible Spending Acct. (employer also contributes)
- Commuter Benefits (employer also contributes)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short & Long Term Disability
- 18 weeks paid parental leave
- Life Insurance
We offer a generous comprehensive benefits package inclusive of Wellness initiatives to support a healthy work life balance
Expected to work in a hybrid work environment with the ability to come into the Bay Area, California office a minimum of 2 times a week. This position is located in our Bay Area, CA office
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Your Safety Matters: Vaccination and booster against COVID-19 is a requirement at MSF – USA.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Non-Discrimination:
MSF-USA is committed to building a diverse, unbiased, and inclusive workforce. MSF-USA is an equal opportunity employer; we recruit, hire, train, promote, develop, and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person’s gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other differences consistent with applicable laws. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for disabilities, or religious beliefs and practices. Members of communities historically underrepresented in the Humanitarian Aid sector are encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability of some kind and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources by emailing us: [email protected]. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary $100,400.04 – $107,420.04 (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.