Full Job Description
The LI TNY Market Sales Clerk supports the Taste NY Market at Long Island Welcome Center. Primary responsibilities include assisting customers in a food service setting, self – check out, maintaining clean and organized work stations and ensuring a clean guest area. Clerk provides quality beverages and food products consistently for all customers by adhering to all recipe and presentation standards, follows health safety and sanitation guidelines for all products. Anticipates customer and store needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues. Inspect the store for cleanliness, organization and refill supplies as needed. The clerk is expected to discuss Long Island agriculture and local foods with customers, utilizing provided information and engage them in the areas of local agriculture products sold in the store. Candidate must possess the ability to communicate effectively with managers and co-workers. Individuals must be able to follow and create already Develop coffee recipes. Must have the ability to recommend daily coffee from the menu list
- Customer service – greets, assists and serves the needs of store customers.
- Store inspection, organization and recordkeeping.Must assist in maintaining a clean facility.
- Cash Controls – follow all procedures for proper management and handling of cash.
- Replenishment of store supplies and inventory.Track product inventory.
- Receive and log scheduled deliveries.
- Assist with promotion of agri-tourism in Nassau County.
- Describe the local farms, produce, food and products displayed.
- Provides quality beverages and food products consistently for all customers by adhering to all recipe and presentation standards.
- Monitor product expiration dates and observe First in First out practices
- Follow health safety and sanitation guidelines store inspection, organization and restock as needed
- Must assist in maintaining a clean facility.
- Work with supervisors to learn about products being sold in the store.
- Maintain equipment, troubleshoot if necessary and alert manager (such equipment will be cash register, coffee and expresso makers).
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Nassau County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education.
- Ability to complete basic math in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to work with the public;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to operate or learn to operate a cash register;
- Must be able to drive personal or Association vehicle for pick-up and delivery of product from the warehouse to the CCE Nassau Market (hand cart may be used for transportation purposes);
- Ability to use or learn to use MS Word and excel;
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check standards, if required.
Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- 1 year retail sales experience.
- Microsoft Office proficiency including Excel;
- Experience working in customer service and retail environments;
- Understanding of basic marketing;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks;
- Proficiency with internet based communications;
- Knowledge of the organization, operation, philosophy and objectives of Cooperative Extension;
- Knowledge of agriculture and agricultural practices.
document for additional guidance.
Internal Applicants: Current employees of the Cornell Cooperative Extension Association indicated in this job posting are considered internal applicants; please refer to the
document for additional guidance.
Contact Dionne at
with questions. No relocation or VISA Sponsorship available.
The Association may make reasonable accommodations to enable applicants to participate in the hiring process and employees to perform the essential functions of their job. If you require an accommodation so that you may participate in the selection process you are encouraged to contact Cornell Cooperative Extension Administrative Systems at (607) 255-2117, or via email at:
Association Admin Asst I