This position works remotely requiring a telecommuting agreement and adherence to the UCSC Telecommuting/Remote Work Guidelines. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor). While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working at the regular UCSC worksite.
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California’s COVID-19 vaccine program.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
- How to Apply
- Tips for Applicants
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant’s behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 06-27-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It’s known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus’s DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) is a public agency supported by 15 members (13 states, one territory and the Bureau of Indian Education). Through the work of thousands of educators, Smarter Balanced created an online assessment system aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), as well as tools for educators to improve teaching and learning. Smarter Balanced is housed at the University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) Silicon Valley Extension.
The work of Smarter Balanced is guided by the belief that a high-quality assessment system can provide information and tools for teachers and schools to improve instruction and help students succeed – regardless of disability, language, or subgroup. We involve experienced educators, researchers, state and local policymakers, and community groups working together in a transparent and consensus-driven process.
Smarter Balanced staff have a profound commitment to UCSC’s Principles of Community including embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
UCSC Extension provides professional training that reflects the academic rigor of the University of California and the hands-on, roll-up-your-shirtsleeves practicality of Silicon Valley culture. Developed with guidance from key industry leaders and academic experts, our certificate programs match the economic demand of your industry, from engineering to business, education to bioscience. The University of California reviews and approves UCSC Extension courses and programs for academic content, merit, and instructor qualifications. Many of our courses may be applied toward degree programs, or may be eligible for professional certificates and licenses.
More information can be found at https://smarterbalanced.org
Uses professional concepts to apply organization policies and procedures to oversee a variety of ongoing administrative operational issues. Administers defined operational program. Analyzes and resolves operational problems of moderate scope.
Budgeted Salary: $30.04 – $33.57/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Remote
Union Representation: CX Union
Job Code Classification: 004263 (ADMIN OFCR 2 CX)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
- Administers a defined operational program or activities which may include some of the following functions: finance, human resources, communications, member services, and meeting/event planning.
- Oversees planning, organizing, and implementing organization-wide events both virtual and in-person.
- Oversees travel processing for the unit and for external constituents for events and member travel.
- Submits and tracks travel reimbursements and provides guidance on policies related to travel, reimbursements, finance, and operations.
- Creates documents, forms, and guidelines related to policies, finance, and operations.
- Works closely with internal and external stakeholders for event planning, managing the logistics, and ensuring a smooth and successful event.
- Conducts research and provides information as needed to staff and management.
- Provides assistance to the unit operations which could include calendaring, meeting/topic planning, agenda setting, running meetings, taking meeting notes, and providing overall administrative assistance as needed.
- Works on other special projects as assigned in support of unit operations.
- Participates in the development and revision of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Develops materials and communicates procedures and guidelines to staff and management as needed.
- Provides guidance to supervisors and managers in personnel, operational policies, and procedures.
- Conducts trend analyses and helps develop resulting recommendations.
- Assesses and recommends changes to maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Minimum 1 year of office administrative experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience supporting planning and implementation of large scale and visible events.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Working knowledge of common organization-specific and other computer application programs.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Experience ensuring that organizational practices, services, and behaviors support and promote diversity among staff.
- Experience with finance, reimbursements and interpreting policy and guidelines regarding contracts, events, and logistics.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work overtime including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs, and work an alternate work schedule shift as required.
- Ability to travel nationally.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.