Full Job Description
Our Transportation Construction, Engineering and Inspection group assists in all levels of federal, public, private, and international organizations by offering construction services for transportation systems that reflect community needs. Our value-added program management, best-in-class design-build expertise, and unparalleled sustainability and economic solutions, build partnerships and create solutions for current and future environmental and infrastructure challenges.
CDM Smith’s San Juan team is seeking a candidate that will inspect and monitor construction activities at various field site locations in Puerto Rico. Inspection activities are primarily routine and standardized. Candidate will work under direct supervision from higher level inspectors and engineers. Work requires knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction; knowledge of geometry and basic mathematics; ability to read, interpret and explain construction plans and drawings, contract provisions, and specifications; and communications ability.
Primary Responsibilities will be:
- Perform inspections of traffic control, environmental controls, layout, construction methods and materials, and all issues concerning the construction of a project under direct supervision.
- Determine the acceptability of the day‐to‐day work performed by the contractor. Review and recommend the acceptance or rejection of daily reports submitted by the contractor, perform inspection of the contractor’s quality control procedures and material testing, and verify that procedures are in conformance with the approved Quality Control Plan and established procedures.
- Candidate must also be able to review material testing procedures and results for conformance to the contract and measure quantities of materials placed. May be required to perform sampling and/or in‐place testing of soil, aggregate base, concrete, and asphalt concrete pavement.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- 0 years.
- Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
- Experience working on bridge construction, construction of earth retaining structures (including reinforced concrete walls), gabion basket wall construction, MSE, RSS, mechanically stabilized earth wall, roadway excavation & fill, asphalt pavement, temporary traffic control implementation and maintenance of traffic, erosion and sedimentation control, and other miscellaneous heavy highway construction and related project inspection work.
- Experience working with EFLHD FP‐14 and/or PRHTA standards and specifications.
- Inspector should be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, word, etc…) and Adobe Acrobat (pdf).
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) candidates preferred; be able to read, write and speak Spanish and English, at a minimum, the ability to make oneself understood to all Spanish and English speaking individuals.
- Ability to report to various project site locations in Puerto Rico on a daily basis.
Amount of Travel Required
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English and Spanish.
- Basic knowledge of arithmetic.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and quickly learn new computer, smartphone or related applications and programs.
U.S. Vaccine Status
Background Check and Drug Testing Information
Visa Sponsorship Available