Admissions Project Manager & Data Specialist
Job ID: 52828
This position works remotely requiring a telecommuting agreement and adherence to the UCSC Telecommuting/Remote Work Guidelines. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor). While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working at the regular UCSC worksite.
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-16-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It’s known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus’s DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Scout from University of California is an online education program that is available for middle and high school students, teachers, schools, and school districts. UC Scout offers “A-G” approved college preparatory and College Board-approved Advanced Placement courses online.
UC Scout’s mission is to support educationally disadvantaged students across California, raise student achievement levels, and close achievement gaps.
The incumbent currently reports to the Executive Director, but will later report to the Director of Admissions, who oversees the Outreach and Customer Support teams. UC Scout consists of roughly thirty full-time employees and another two-dozen part-time employees. UC Scout is a branch of the UC Santa Cruz Silicon Valley Extension and the University of California.
The UC Scout team is a remote team that holds occasional meetings on location from its home location in Santa Clara, CA.
More information can be found here: https://ucscout.org
The Admissions Project Manager and Data Specialist (as Project Manager) manages a portfolio of projects in support of the UC Scout Marketing and Outreach and Customer Support teams. Additionally, the Project Manager serves as UC Scout’s data analyst (Data Specialist).
In managing projects of diverse scope, size, impact, budget, and/or project team size, the incumbent applies their skills as a seasoned and experienced project management professional. They possess a full understanding of project management frameworks, policies, and procedures, and demonstrate competence in selecting methods and techniques to achieve solutions.
The projects in the admissions portfolio will include (but is not limited to) enterprise system and other technical implementations, marketing campaigns, survey creation and distribution, and work related to the website and other outreach materials.
The incumbent works directly with UC Scout departments to set goals, establish project plans, and track progress and completion. The Project Manager oversees many projects simultaneously and must be an advanced communicator, both verbal and written. The Project Manager should understand how a project in one department will impact other departments.
Significant time is spent on data gathering, management, analysis, and on presenting and reporting data clearly to key stakeholders. The Project Manager must have a full understanding of the business objectives and mission and be able to communicate these messages to outward audiences via meetings, presentations, and webinars.
As a Data Specialist, the incumbent applies their skills as a seasoned and experienced data professional, with a full understanding of industry practices, methodologies, policies, and procedures to resolve complex and wide-ranging issues that require a review of a variety of factors when analyzing situations or data. Additionally, the incumbent demonstrates competence in selecting methods and techniques to obtain solutions.
Budgeted Salary: $102,500 – $120,800 / annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Remote
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 008822 (TCHL PROJECT MGT PROFL 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
45% – Project Planning
- Overall project management responsibilities for a portfolio of critical marketing and technical projects, e.g., tracking outreach ideas, assignments, and campaigns; tracking effectiveness; implementing or migrating systems and tools and determining workloads. Overall project management responsibilities for customer support department projects, e.g., reviewing and implementing new tools and working on plans to improve team effectiveness.
- May lead a team of department supervisors working to establish project plans within their various departments. Assembles and directs cross-functional project teams, develops detailed project plans and schedules and monitors budget and resources. Directs project activities with the goal of completing the project on schedule and within budget constraints. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel. Oversees the project from initiation through delivery including system integration, interaction with vendors and managing risk.
- Provides oversight and deploys best practices in architecture and maintenance of UC Scout website using Content Management Systems (CMS). Supports Student Information System (SIS) projects.
- Applies advanced project management concepts with a full understanding of project management practices and procedures to manage complex projects across multiple teams. Provides analysis for highly complex, project-related issues, utilizing a deep understanding of how various teams work together and how various projects impact one another and a clear understanding of time management expectations for various team members across departments.
- Uses, selects, and oversees best project management tools and establishes clear communications. Current tools include, but are not limited to: Google Workplace, Asana, Airtable, and Confluence.
40% – Data Analysis
- Oversees Watermark’s Course Evaluations and Surveys tool data to better understand customer feedback and suggest improvements. Provides data reports with clear, understandable, and actionable findings to stakeholders. Oversees data collection related to student demographics and reports findings to internal and external stakeholders – including state agencies. Reviews all data, including enrollments and financial data, and creates reports for communications and presentations. Tracks all data for positive and negative changes and suggests improvements to various departments.
- Works with IT team to improve reports and communicate UC Scout needs. Conduit for any of UC Scout’s data-related matters
10% – Department Support and Analysis
- Implements the project management processes involving diverse departmental or cross-functional teams, including, but not limited to teams from: Academic, Instructional Design, Video Production, Outreach, and Customer Support. Initiates, designs and leads project proposals and reports.
5% – Advanced Communications
- Creates internal and outward-facing communications. Oversees and proofreads communications from other departments. Serves as a brand liaison, communicating key messages to diverse audiences as needed. Communicates with senior personnel to provide analysis and updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Basic knowledge of project management principles, theories, and concepts.
- Demonstrated capacity to anticipate obstacles and plan for contingencies.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to determine relevance and prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrated effective writing skills.
- Demonstrated competency in selecting and implementing project management methods and techniques.
- Proven leadership ability. Effective problem solving skills. Demonstrated ability to put forth persuasive arguments.
- Effective skill at tracking effort and project progress. Demonstrated highly advanced organization and project management skills. Demonstrated strong conceptual and planning skills to analyze projects of broad and diverse scope. Understands the cost impact.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate critical information across disciplines. Understands how projects relate to other business strategies and initiatives.
- Demonstrated selection and usage of various project management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to create, read, and analyze financial budgets.
- Ability to prepare data models unassisted.
- Familiarity with data model patterns in one or more common business or academic domains.
- Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Ability to represent relevant information in abstract models.
- Thorough knowledge of data management systems, practices and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Strong analytical and design skills, including the ability to abstract information requirements from real-world processes to understand information flows in computer systems.
- Professional certification
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to ‘My Activities’. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.