Administrative Assistant in the Office of the President
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Administrative Assistant in the Office of the President
Cornell University, a nationally ranked Ivy League institution, is seeking an Administrative Assistant to join the team in the Office of the President in Ithaca, NY. This position provides comprehensive, pro-active administration and tactical support to those in the office (President, Chief of Staff, Schedule Manager and Executive Staff Assistant, as well as the Provost’s Senior Administrator and Executive Assistant). Initiative, discernment, strong customer services skills, and a high level of professionalism and confidentiality are essential in this position.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for facilitating the daily administrative activities of the office, using initiative and creativity to develop and improve processes and services. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing day-to-day operational efficiency and coverage of the front office
- Serving as office liaison to the President’s Correspondence Manager to assist with incoming hardcopy mail and outgoing correspondence and handwritten notes
- Serving as the office financial liaison to the Shared Services Center responsible for vendor
payments and procurement of goods, as well as handling office travel reimbursements through Concur
- Assisting in the executive search process, scheduling of various meetings and event logistics for all members of the office team.
- Providing back-up coverage as needed for Schedule Manager and Executive Assistant to the Provost.
This is a full-time (39 hours/week) endowed position that is based in Ithaca, NY and is completely on-site. Work hours will be either 8am-5pm or 8:30am-5pm Monday through Friday.
What We Need
We are looking for a highly organized and professional team member who has attention to detail, is adaptable, collaborative, willing to help out in all areas, and makes others feel welcomed and included. Additionally, you will:
- Have an Associate’s Degree with 4-6 years of administrative support experience, preferably for an executive, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrate excellent people, oral communication and customer service skills
- Have the aptitude to interact with individuals in a professional, diplomatic and courteous manner even when dealing with callers and/or visitors who may be difficult or upset
- Be effective working as part of a high functioning team in a fast-paced environment
- Have the proven ability to handle multiple competing priorities and to adapt to changing priorities, situations and demands
- Have the proven ability to work with confidential and sensitive information and material in a proactive and discreet manner
- Utilize independent judgment, problem solving and decision making in order to respond to constituents and represent the office in an effective and appropriate manner
- Demonstrate advanced skills for Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook
If you possess these experiences and skills this may be the role for you! There are a few other qualifications that we would view as incredibly helpful in this role, to include:
- Cornell experience
A cover letter and resume are required for further consideration for this position.
Rewards and Benefits
- This position is located in Ithaca, New York and is completely on-site.
- Cornell receives national recognition as an award-winning workplace for our health, wellbeing, sustainability, and diversity initiatives.
- Our benefits programs include comprehensive health care options, generous retirement contributions, access to wellness programs, and employee discounts with local and national retail brands. We invite you to follow this link to get more information about our benefits: https://hr.cornell.edu/benefits-pay.
- Follow this link to learn more about the Total Rewards of Working at Cornell: https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/your-total-rewards.
- Our leave provisions include three weeks of vacation and 13 holidays: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, and an end of the year winter break from December 25-January 1.
- Cornell’s impressive educational benefits include tuition-free Extramural Study and Employee Degree Program, tuition aid for external education, and Cornell Children’s Tuition Assistance Program.
No Visa Sponsorship is available for this position.
Familiarize yourself with Cornell’s COVID-19 workplace guidance as well as the university’s COVID-19 services and information.
University Job Title:
Administrative Asst V
Pay Rate Type:
$26.36 – $30.63
Remote Option Availability:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
- Prior relevant work or industry experience
- Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
- Unique applicable skills
- Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
To learn more about Cornell’s non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see Career Navigator.
The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined in accordance with the rates in the respective collective bargaining agreement. To learn more about Cornell’s union wages, see Union Pay Rates.
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by “dragging and dropping” them into the dropbox or by using the “upload” icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting or email [email protected].
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University’s Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX at voice (607) 255-2242, or email at [email protected].
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university’s mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process