Together, we own our company, our future, and our shared success.
As an employee-owned company, our people are Black & Veatch. We put them at the center of everything we do and empower them to grow, explore new possibilities and use their diverse talents and perspectives to solve humanity’s biggest challenges in an ever-evolving world. With over 100 years of innovation in sustainable infrastructure and our expertise in engineering, procurement, consulting and construction, together we are building a world of difference.
Company : Black & Veatch Corporation
Req Id : 96508
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : No
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire : Yes
Visa Sponsorship Available: No
By joining our BV Construction group, you will have the ability to develop and enhance your skills in an on-site, hands-on environment. We are committed to providing our construction professionals with expert training, career development, and career advancement to allow for continuous professional development. Our management is committed to the latest advances in technology, above class support and sustainability to bring our clients the best service in safety, quality, and final product. Functions in our group include safety, project field management, construction management, quality control, start up and decommissioning and field engineering.
This role may have a hybrid working schedule and require occasional travel. Black & Veatch prides itself on the support of our employees and providing flexibility to make the things that are most important to you, a priority. This is why we offer our professionals, located near an office a Hybrid work environment. Our hybrid work approach allows our employees to work two days a week from other locations outside of the office.
This is an entry level position that will assist in administering the company’s Safety and Health Procedures. The position may perform first aid treatment and routine, less complex safety tasks as assigned.
- Lead and support all safety related processes and programs as requested
- Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved.
- Assist and support crews as needed with daily pre-job safety planning in the appropriate format Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or mitigate hazards
- Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (ie back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens)
- Understand, train, support, implement, and follow lockout/tag out procedures
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills
- Listen to other employees and supervisor’s suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation
- Consult with supervisor and if needed HR on any issues
- Perform drug and alcohol screens in accordance with company substance abuse policies and procedures
- Conducts employee safety and health training and may assist in onboarding new professionals as needed
- Conducts routine site safety, health, and environmental inspections
- Supply, operate, or maintain personal protective equipment and perform inspections on such equipment when needed
- May assist with accident investigations and learn to perform and lead investigations utilizing the appropriate forms and process
- As directed by supervisor, consult with workers on workplace application of safety principles, practices, or techniques to mitigate all possible risks
- Performs documentation, record keeping and filing functions
- Implements and supports project programs and procedures such as security and emergency action plan with the guidance of supervisor
- Acts as on-site first aid and medical provider
- Enters safety and health data into word processing and spreadsheet type programs
- Communicates with company worker’s compensation manager
- When requested assist supervisors in training / teaching safety practices, policies and procedures related to an employee’s assigned tasks
- Gain a complete understanding of the scope of work and the related parts of the project
- Develop a thorough understanding of the project plans, specifications and schedule as they relate to that portion of the work assigned
- Conduct tool box meetings and communicate safety concerns, work scope, plans and schedules to the crews
- Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement
- Ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being used
- Comply with Company Code of Conduct and jobsite policies
- Perform all other job related duties as requested by supervisor
2 years’ experience in a construction environment or the equivalent in education. Must have leadership abilities and organizational skills including but not limited to the ability to train employees. Should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Must be at least 18 years of age. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- 1 year safety-related experience preferred
- Ability to travel as needed
- One or more of the following certifications: STS or STS-C NCCER Field Safety OSHA 30-Hour First-Aid and CPR certified
Prefer one or more of the following certifications: STS or STS-C NCCER Field Safety OSHA 30-Hour First-Aid and CPR certified
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Lift and carry heavy items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Stand, Kneel, Bend, Stoop, Move, and Walk long distances in and around confined, cluttered places, and uneven areas.
- See and hear naturally or with correction.
- Full range of motion and flexibility consistent with requirements of the job duties.
- Requires using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls according to a set procedure.
- Requires repetitive movement.
- May require work above 5 feet in height.
- Climb and maintain balance on steel framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds.
- Work up to a 12 hour shift doing hard physical labor in varying temperature extremes and other outside conditions.
- Typical construction site environment:
- Requires working in cramped work spaces and getting into awkward positions.
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32F degrees) temperatures and exposure to inclement weather such as dust, wind, snow, rain, etc.
- Requires working in extremely bright or low lighting conditions
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Work around hazardous equipment.
- Typical office environment.
- This position is considered a safety sensitive position.
Black & Veatch endeavors to make www.bv.com/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process because of a disability, please contact the Employee Relations Department at +1-913-359-1622 or via our accommodations request form. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only; you may not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications. General inquiries about the status of applications will not be returned.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy.
Our comprehensive benefits portfolio is a key component of this commitment and offers an array of health care benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurances along with disability and a robust wellness program.
To support a healthy work-life balance, we offer flexible work schedules, paid vacation and holiday time, sick time, and dependent sick time.
A variety of additional benefits are available to our professionals, including a company-matched 401k plan, adoption reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, vendor discounts, an employment referral program, AD&D insurance, pre-taxed accounts, voluntary legal plan and the B&V Credit Union. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
We are proud to be a 100 percent ESOP-owned company. As employee-owners, our professionals are empowered to drive not only their personal growth, but the company’s long-term achievements – and they share in the financial rewards of the success through stock ownership.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Notice to External Search Firms: Black & Veatch does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be obligated to pay a placement fee for unsolicited resumes. Black & Veatch Talent Acquisition engages with search firms directly for hiring needs.
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.