Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
This position is within the Engine & Power Systems department of Cat Electronics and will lead the development of embedded software and electrical & electronic systems integration for diesel engine, battery electric, and fuel cell applications at Caterpillar’s Tucson Proving Grounds. The role of an engineering specialist is that of a principal contributor of deliverables associated with complex technical engineering problems. In addition to demonstrating technical expertise, the person in this position will be required to serve as a team/project leader and will direct work within a vast array of clients & process partners. The incumbent must be able to demonstrate from prior experience the ability to communicate, build consensus, and achieve compromise in setting technical direction for projects/programs with challenging timelines and a high degree of uncertainty. The impact of decisions will be far-reaching and significantly impact product quality, cost, and customer value. As a result, the successful candidate will be required to periodically provide formal and informal updates to senior leaders within the organization. Mentoring less experienced engineers, process improvement, and project planning are also key expectations.
Typical deliverables for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Clarify product and testing requirements and ensure alignment with appropriate stakeholders.
- Facilitate functional performance analysis, lead the development of validation plans, and define acceptance criteria. Improve existing or develop new validation controls for emerging electrical & electronic system technologies.
- Execute and/or coordinate execution of product tests on-machine prior to release for service and production. Analyze test results, summarize conclusions, and deliver product improvement recommendations to global team members. Track development issues to resolution.
- Apply knowledge of embedded software, engines, batteries, and fuel cells to perform troubleshooting of machine systems and components critical to the integration of the primary power source.
- Collaborate with cross-functional global teams and individuals to complete complex tasks safely, and with the highest quality, while meeting project schedules and budgets.
- Learn and be able to proficiently operate machine equipment to complete testing & troubleshooting.
- Innovate processes for efficiency and contribute to strategies for new products/processes.
- As this position delivers verification/validation for electronic systems, it is required for incumbents to have demonstrated expertise in operation and fault modes of electronic sensors, actuators & other inductive loads, ECM componentry, communication networks (e.g. J1939/CAN/Ethernet), test automation, and instrumentations & data collection tools. Further, since today’s electronic systems utilize embedded software, it is highly desired for incumbents to have demonstrated expertise in control software design, programming, version management tools, and software development processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other accredited engineering curriculum and a minimum of 10 years of experience in electronic systems, controls, embedded software, engine performance, or on-machine system integration/testing.
Top Candidates will also have
- Experience in product development/support and diesel engine system integration, performance, platform design, and the application software development process.
- Strong working knowledge of machine systems & standard test procedures, batteries, battery charging & management, and fuel cells.
- Familiar with machine-wheeled and tracked machine operation. Possess a strong mechanical and electrical aptitude.
- Proficient in the use of SuperComm 2, Cadet, Caterpillar Electronic Technician (CAT ET), and CANape. Demonstrated expertise in operation and fault modes of electronic sensors, actuators & other inductive loads, classic controls methods (ie. PID), communication networks (ie. J1939/CAN/Ethernet), and instrumentations & data collection tools.
- High degree of initiative, autonomy, teamwork, and communication. Passion for software testing, troubleshooting, and problem resolution.
The location for this position is Tuscon Proving Grounds, Green Valley, AZ.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Sponsorship is available.
This position may require up to 20% travel.
Closing date: 5/21/2023.
Employee benefit details
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers .
For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect with us on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media
Relocation is available for this position.Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .