Our Transportation Construction, Engineering and Inspection group assists in all levels of federal, public, private, and international organizations by offering construction services for transportation systems that reflect community needs. Our value-added program management, best-in-class design-build expertise, and unparalleled sustainability and economic solutions, build partnerships and create solutions for current and future environmental and infrastructure challenges.
CDM Smith’s CEI team in Asheville is seeking a candidate to inspect and monitor construction activities at the project site(s). Inspector must be able to perform the most complex inspection activities for at least 2 of the 5 categories of construction inspection: 1) Roadway 2) Bridges 3) Drainage 4) Erosion & Control 5) Maintenance & Traffic. Candidate will work under limited supervision or direct supervision depending on the demonstrated knowledge for the assignment. Work will require the knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction; knowledge of geometry and basic mathematics; ability to read, interpret and explain construction plans and drawings, contract provisions, and specifications; and communications ability.
- Performing both complex and routine/standard inspections of construction to evaluate if appropriate materials and construction processes are used; and that construction conforms to plans, specifications, and special provisions.
- Uses higher grade of equipment and performs complex calculations to perform construction inspection.
- Works under limited supervision or direct supervision depending on the demonstrated knowledge for the specific assignment.
- Reviewing drawings to prepare for the construction inspection.
- Understands the design of the construction that will be inspected. Documenting and communicating the results of the inspection and communicates to the supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Certifications from a State Highway Agency or National Entity such as ACI (American Concrete Institute) or NICET (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) in earthwork, asphalt, and concrete if required by the client or jurisdiction in which they will be working. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- 4 years of related experience.
- Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
Amount of Travel Required
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English.
- Basic knowledge of arithmetic.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and quickly learn new computer, smartphone or related applications and programs.
- Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction.
- Ability to read and understand construction plans and drawings, contract provisions, and specifications
Background Check and Drug Testing Information
Visa Sponsorship Available
“If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.”