Daimler Trucks North America is the market leader and thrives as the voice of the trucking industry. We are compelled to push the envelope as we develop vehicles to lead the eMobility market. In this position, you will innovate battery cell solutions for the eMobility Group at Daimler Truck, focus on the internal battery design related to analyzing anode/cathode/electrolyte chemistry & material characteristics within the USMCA market. This position will apply engineering principles to develop and validate complex battery components that sets the industry benchmark for performance, efficiency, cost, reliability, and safety. This is an emerging, exciting technology, and the right person will drive DTNA’s success by helping our engineering department, customers and network adopt the new vehicles into their operations. These leading edge technologies are exciting and dynamic where you can make your mark in the industry.
- Analyze critical battery characteristics that affect performance during the entire product lifecycle including: safety, aging, chemistry & material characteristics
- Perform teardown and create report of battery components, including chemical analysis of battery cell, to ensure the fulfill lifetime requirements.
- Evaluate new emerging technologies from the North American region, resources for viability for production and their anticipated benefits over current technologies employed by Daimler Trucks.
- Lead cross-functional activities & maintain strong relationships with regional and Global counterparts in Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Sales, Purchasing, and Battery Component Suppliers.
- Lead engineering efforts to resolve manufacturing process issues related to battery systems.
- Oversee battery testing internally and externally, including Daimler and benchmarking competitor battery products.
- Develop new testing procedures that produce thorough and accurate test data to meet product engineering requirements and applicable safety and future zero regulatory standards.
- Generate and thoroughly document project work, draw conclusions, and make recommendations and review with management.
- Create project plans and timelines, and assist management with defining budget requirements.
- Investigate, troubleshoot and resolve operational test issues and/or determine required involvement of appropriate support groups when problems occur.
- Create and define the holistic global Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) document in all areas related to the battery.
- Industrialization of battery cell to module including the USMCA supply chain.
- Work with internal resources and outside vendors in improving the recycling capability.
- Lead cross functional teams in battery module diagnostics to optimize performance and increase safety.
- Generate and implement ideas that continuously improve the work environment, systems, tools, and processes as well as product cost and quality.
- Communicate effectively and maintain professional/social interaction in a multi-cultural and International environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering or Electrochemical Engineering with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Technical expertise in HV battery systems
- Experience identifying and solving the root cause of complex problems
- Ability to manage multiple projects and inform management of any barriers
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High level of analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work with and get work done effectively through others
- Strong PC skills including MS Office and database tools
- An attached resume is required
- 5-7 years of relevant experience preferred
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering or Electrochemical Engineering preferred
- Experience with battery slurry mixing, anode and cathode design
- Experience tearing down/disassembling charged/non-charged battery cells and analyzing construction and uniformity of coating materials
- Experience with battery mechanical design and testing
- Previous service literature experience
- Proficiency in German Language is a plus
- Detroit, MI
Final candidate must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
Contractors, professional services, or other contingent workers should confirm with their local agency if they are eligible to apply for FTE positions.
Hold a valid visa (L1A, L1B, TN, H1B, EAD, OPT EAD)
Those eligible for a TN Visa (Canadian or Mexican National working in an Engineering, Accounting or Scientific Technologist capacity with an aligning degree)
Mercedes-Benz do Brasil Ltda.
Mercedes-Benz Cars & Vans Brasil – Indústria e Comércio De Veículos Ltda.
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
Daimler Mobility AG
Daimler Truck AG
Daimler India Commercial Vehicles Private Limited
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development India Private Limited
Daimler Manufactura, S. de R.L. de C.V.
Daimler Vehiculos Comerciales Mexico S. de R.L. de C.V.