Field Operations Supervisor
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 51174
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 04-17-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It’s known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus’s DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) supports the University’s mission by providing access to UC Santa Cruz, acting as fiscal stewards, and managing the sustainable planning, design, and operation of safe and equitable bicycle/pedestrian programs, transit services, parking, and other transportation-related needs. TAPS is dedicated to being innovative, sustainable, and customer-focused providers of access to UC Santa Cruz.
More information can be found at https://taps.ucsc.edu/
Supervises parking field operations, including event parking, groundskeeping, striping/markings, signage, maintenance, traffic control, parking space, and lot allocation postings, mobile parking payment deployment and maintenance, and the field data collection process. Supports in developing, implementing, and maintaining new technology, which may include acting as Project Manager, and parking-related capital improvements. Analyzes data to make recommendations on parking space allocations.
Budgeted Salary: $71,700 – $83,400/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay..
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007374 ADMIN SUPV 1
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% – Supervision and Training of Event and Maintenance Teams
- Coordinates and oversees the work of staff in Event Parking, Traffic Control, Field Operations, Parking Maintenance, and Bike Parking.
- Recommends hiring of new employees, transfers, promotions, salary actions, terminations, performance management, and budget allocations. Selects develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Event Operations and Parking Lot Maintenance teams.
- Directs hiring of the Students Corps and ensures proper training for all associated job responsibilities including but not limited to traffic control, posting temporary event and construction signage, and event permit sales.
- Implements appropriate safety training and Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) measures in collaboration with the Associate Director and other subject matter experts. Ensures a safe working environment for field employees.
25% – Parking Operations
- Works closely with Parking Sales Manager and the Associate Director to ensure efficient coordination and utilization of parking resources.
- Oversees regular parking lot utilization surveys and data collection.
- Works in collaboration with the TAPS Sales Office, and manages the implementation of construction staging permits and contractor parking logistics in the field.
- Ensures the proper documentation of construction/event for parking services, ensuring compliance with UC cash-handling policies and procedures.
- Participates in the planning of large-volume campus events.
- Provides oversight for event parking services in the field, and provides support for major campus events for affiliates and non-affiliate event organizers.
- Oversees signage and placement of Changeable Message Signs (CMS).
25% – Parking Lot Maintenance
- Oversees all parking lot maintenance in compliance with the UCSC Storm Water Program and the TAPS Maintenance Program requirements.
- Partners with the Parking Enforcement Manager to develop maintenance plans for parking striping, grounds maintenance, and vegetation management.
- Conducts site visits, create plans for field asset improvements, and facilitate stakeholder feedback and modifications.
- Documents parking lot maintenance processes and ensures proper tracking of maintenance requests/outcomes.
- Manages pay station and EV Charger repair.
- Manages temporary parking-related signage for regulatory compliance and oversees event-related wayfinding signage.
10% – Administration
- Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for departmental field operations.
- Recommends revisions or additions to campus parking-related policies and procedures.
- Assists with procurement, implementation, and maintenance of parking-related technology (e.g., pay-by-phone apps, e-Validation, car counting systems, License Plate Recognition).
- Interfaces with ITS staff as needed.
- Serves as the primary operations liaison with parking vendors.
- Monitors parking demand patterns and trends to inform short- and long-term planning of parking resources.
- Manages the development of both short-term and long-term goals for the unit and the field operations team.
- Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets.
- Manages the Abandoned Bike Program in detailed compliance with established processes between TAPS and UCPD.
- Maintains existing bike parking and assists in the implementation of new bike parking areas.
- Attends both on- and off-campus training as required.
- Oversees database design and field data collection for ArcGIS capability, daily parking surveys, and elsewhere as needed.
- Coordinates with internal TAPS stakeholders, including TAPS Marketing & Communications Specialist, to ensure existing parking maps are properly updated and maintained.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
- Significant experience supervising a diverse staff, delegating work, and providing a work environment that motivates staff to meet high-quality customer service standards.
- Knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques; human resources and risk management planning; accounting and payroll.
- Working knowledge of common computer application programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation.
- Interpersonal written communication skills and ability to advise, and counsel to effectively motivate others in writing.
- Interpersonal skills including verbal communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising, and counseling to effectively motivate others verbally.
- Project management and organizational skills.
- Organizational and customer service skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify resolutions.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Experience with personnel management within labor contract(s) and personnel policy.
- Experience in cash handling and cash audit procedures.
- Experience with parking operational processes, protocols, and procedures.
- Experience using parking management software and database systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program.
- Interviewees will be required to provide a current DMV record.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions.
- Ability to perform work in a rugged physical environment and inclement weather with challenging infrastructure requirements.
- Ability to conduct outdoor site visits, including use of required personal protective equipment, as required to conduct investigations, inspections, or view work in place.
- The selected candidate will be required to work primarily on campus, with periods of remote work possible based on operational needs, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Clery Act: This position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA); required to report crimes, incidents, and disciplinary referral statistics as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC 1092(f)).
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to ‘My Activities’. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as H1BVisaJobs is not responsible for the employer’s application process.